Friday 26 December 2008

Testing my knowledge.

The wonderful people of my university are currently in the process of testing my knowledge with a bunch of tests on subjects so outdated they've lost all relevance. What astounds me is that a group of people with collectively a million degrees between them cant come up with different questions to for a subject over a period of 3 or 4 years. Is it really that tough to come up with new questions? I realize its hypocritical to complain considering it allows me to study for one night, spend the day before exams writing shit on a blog no one reads and still pass but if this is the encapsulation of my college education, it leaves a bitter aftertaste. What is the point of studying when you know that at the end of the day the person who checks my paper probably knows less than me and marks me depending on whether his wife cooked him a good breakfast or not [i.e. arbitrarily]. I've watched the cynic-isation of most of the people i know here, starting with the smartest. An education which makes you lose faith is probably worse than no education at all. In their defense, it ensures that anyone can become an engineer. But isn't that killing the whole point? I think its the difference between communism and capitalism. Remove the fear of failing and you remove the motivation to succeed.
I will regard the 4 years i spent here as a sacrifice to the altar of all that epitomizes what not to do with your life. That's the only education they gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment